How To Get Rid of a UTI Naturally
If you are having a burning feeling when you urinate, accompanied by pressure in your lower back, and darker urine chances are you have a urinary tract infection, but don’t feel bad, you’re definitely not alone.
According to the American Urological Association, Urinary tract infections (commonly referred to as UTI’s) will affect anywhere from 40-50% of women in their lifetimes.
We’ve compiled the ultimate list of home remedies to help you get rid of your urinary tract infection faster than it took to get it!
#1 - Start Chugging Water
Any doctor will tell you the first step you take to treating a urinary tract infection is to drink a ton of water. How much water you ask? We Said A Ton! ☺
Drinking more water will help you first because the urine will help flush the bacteria through your urinary tract. Secondly, when you dilute the acidity of your urine with more water it can help with the pain that occurs when urinating.
- Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to drink at least a glass of water per hour
- Keep track of your urine color and make sure that it is as clear as possible
#2 - Frequent Urination (Do Not Hold it!)
This may seem silly, this is more of a byproduct of the above home remedy, but it should be noted that frequent urination will help alleviate the UTI as quickly as possible. Drinking plenty of fluids will force you to urinate regardless, however it should be advised to never “hold it.”
- Try to urinate at least once an hour.
- Never “hold it”
#3 - Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
Really, is there anything this stuff can’t do? Baking soda is a great remedy for treating the symptoms of your UTI, more specifically the burning sensation during urination.
have shown that women who take baking soda wile they had a urinary tract infection had decreased levels of acidity in their urine.
- Thoroughly Mix 1 Cup of Cold Water with 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda
- Drink once in the morning and once in the evening
#4 - Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent source of useful minerals full of potassium and enzymes that can aid in the spread of a UTI inside your body.
Because of its naturally occurring bacteria fighting properties, ACV is a great option to take orally, or apply topically.
- Stir at least 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with an 8 oz glass of water
- Drink 2 glasses of the mixture twice a day (morning & evening)
#5 - Tea Tree Oil Soak
Tea Tree Oil is loved around the world for its natural antibacterial properties and pleasant aroma. Taking a soak in some tea tree oil could be exactly what you need to get rid of your UTI.
- Mix 10-15 drops of tea tree oil in warm bath water
- Use this mix to wash the urethra opening
- Do this daily for 7-10 days until the UTI has been defeated.
#6 - Vitamin C
You should not take the “I” in UTI lightly. Your body has a bacterial infection and you need to treat it quickly. Studies
have shown that increasing your intake of Vitamin C can limit the growth of some bacteria in your urinary tract.
- Consume at least 200% of your daily value of Vitamin C for a week
- You can take in Supplement form or Naturally using Fruits such as Oranges and Greens
- Do not exceed past a week of extra vitamin c dosage without consulting your doctor
#7 - Blueberries and Cranberries
Cranberry juice is widely debated as being a cure-all for your UTI, but while the verdict is still out
on how exactly it works, there is an active ingredient in cranberries as well as blueberries that prevent bacteria from spreading on the bladder wall, in particular E Coli.
- Eat fresh organic cranberries and blueberries if your schedule permits
- If it’s easier to drink cranberry juice, make sure that it’s pure cranberry juice, not from concentrate or the super sugary cranberry cocktail.
#8 - Lemon Juice
Consuming Lemon juice works the same way these other remedies work by making your body more alkaline which is the best state for your body to be in when fighting off an infection.
- Drink that extra water with a fully squeezed lemon in each of them.
- Pure Lemon juice will also work great.
#9 - Pineapples
Pineapples naturally contain an enzyme called bromelain that has been shown to decrease inflammation from bacterial infections.
- You can either consumer fresh pineapples or fresh pineapple juice
- Adding Pineapples to your smoothie is a great way to get bromelain in your system
- Make sure to opt for fresh pineapples as the canned and processed pineapples contain preservatives
#10 - Heating Pads
Heating pads have been shown to alleviate the pain associated with a UTI, but be sure not to overdue it on the heat intensity, or the length you leave the pad near your urethra.
- Apply a Heating Pad or Compress for at least 15 minutes
- Let it completely cool off and return to room temperature before applying again.
#11 - Cut Irritants
This remedy doubles as a long-term preventative measure. When you have a urinary tract infection consuming spicy foods, nicotine, carbonated drinks, caffeine and artificial sweeteners can irritated your urinary tract even further.
Focusing on healthy foods, high in fiber and vitamins and antioxidants, which promote a health digestive system, will help make it easier for your body to heal.
Directions (Things to Cut Out):
- Spicy Food
- Carbonated Drinks
- Artificial Sweeteners
#12 - Uva Ursi (Bearberry)
Uva Ursi, also known sometimes as Bearberry, has been used for millennia for its natural antiseptic properties. This herb is easily available at drugstores in supplement form.
People who take medicine for their liver and kidney’s or who are nursing or pregnant should not take Uva Ursi.
- Take Urva Ursi in supplement form for a week and measure the results.
#13 - Ginger Tea
Ginger is somewhat of a cure-all when it comes to inflammation symptoms caused by infections, and that is exactly what UTI pain is.
The chemical compound of Ginger naturally blocks the body’s natural inflammation process and will help alleviate the pain associated with your Urinary Tract Infection.
- Add 8-10 oz of water and ginger to a pot of water
- Bring the water to a boil and then remove from heat
- Strain the ginger and pour into a glass.
- Do not consumer more than 3 glasses of ginger tea per day.
- OPTIONAL: Add a Slice of Lemon for Flavor
What Causes a UTI?
Urinary tract infections are caused when bacteria manages to make its way past your bodies natural defense system through your urethra.
The overwhelmingly majority of Urinary Tract Infections are brought on by E. coli from your digestive system making its way back into your body through the urethra.
Common UTI Symptoms
Urinary Tract Infections are usually self-diagnosable with the following symptoms being the most common:
- An consistently intense urge to urinate
- Little urine comes out compared the the overall urge
- Moderate to Severe Burning when you Urinate
- Slight Pressure in your Back or Lower Abdomen
- Dark Cloudy Urine
- Blood in Your Urine
- Fever and Chills
How to Prevent a UTI
The home remedies above work great at getting rid of your urinary tract infection, however as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Here are some ways to prevent getting another UTI:
- Girls, be sure to wipe front to back to keep bacteria at bay.
- Take showers, instead of tub baths
- Clean genital area before and after sex, and urinate shortly after sex
- Do not use feminine hygiene sprays if they are susceptible to UTI’s
- Do not use scented douches
- Wear cotton underwear to help keep your urethra dry
Common UTI FAQs
Can my partner also get infected if we have sex while I have a UTI?
No – The Urinary Tract Infection cannot be spread from person to person because the bacterial infection itself is contained in the urinary system and cannot be spread with sexual contact.
Do Only Women Get UTI’s
No – Men can get UTI’s as well, however they are much more prevalent in women. About 50% of women will experience a UTI in their lifetime, while . This is because of the natural differences between female and male anatomy.
Have Patience. We understand that having a UTI can be quite a painful experience to go through and finding a solution to treat it naturally, or at least supplement a doctors recommendation of antibiotics, can be a confusing one, but all the home remedies presented above will allow your body to help heal itself naturally.
Let us know which ones worked best for you!